[商業詞彙和片語1] Business Expressions and Idioms 1
1. across the board – including everyone or everything 指全面地，表示事情會以同樣方式影響所有人或事
The computer company decided to give the workers an across-the-board increase in their salary.
2. bail a company out or bail out a company – to rescue a company that has financial problems 幫助一家公司擺脫困境
The government bailed out the bank to maintain stability in the economy.
3. a ball park figure/estimate – a rough estimate or figure 一個大略的數字
The contractor gave us a ball park figure for the cost of repairing the new building.
4. bang for the buck – value for the money spent 花最少錢取得最大效果
We were able to get much bang for the buck when we advertised on the Internet.
5. bankroll someone/something – to supply someone with money, to finance someone 提供…資金
The movie actor bankrolled his son while the son was producing his first movie.
6. bottom line – the central issue of a discussion, the main point 可以指在討論過程中，最重要的一件事
My friend wants to open a restaurant. However, the bottom line for me is that we need more research before I invest any money.
-the lowest amount of money that someone will accept 還指在商務談判中的可以被接受的最低價格
Take this new offer to Sony, but 20,000 is our bottom line! We can’t go lower than that!
7. break even – to have expenses equal to profits 得失相當
After three months the company was able to break even and begin to make a profit.
8. carve out a niche (for a product) – to create a product or market that nobody else has 開拓利基
The company was able to carve out a niche for their product among university students.
9. cut corners – to economize, to try to spend less money 找更方便或便宜的辦法來做一件事
We have been forced to economize on expenses during these severe economic times.
10 . cut one’s losses – to do something in order to stop losing additional money or time etc. 斷掉某人的損失; 認賠殺出; 斷尾求生
We should sell the old machinery soon and try to cut our losses.
Image Source: http://tx.english-ch.com/teacher/jun/business_english_survival.jpg
Complete List 完整托福和雅思單字表+mp3:http://goo.gl/D8uxuV