[時事英文新聞] Davos 2017 – Opening Plenary with Xi Jinping
1. Chinese President Xi Jinping said Tuesday that globalization has powered worldwide growth and should not be blamed for the world’s problems.
power worldwide growth 提供全球成長的動力
World Economic Forum 界經濟論壇
2. In an attack on the anti-globalization rhetoric that has led to the election of Donald Trump as U.S. president and the Brexit vote in Britain, Xi told a packed audience at the World Economic Forum at Davos: “It is true that economic globalization created new problems, but this is no justification to write off economic globalization altogether.
write off 放棄 ; 註銷, 取消
3. “Rather we should adapt to and guide economic globalization, cushion its negative impacts and deliver its benefits for all countries.”
cushion its negative impacts 緩解其負面影響
4. Xi’s speech marked the first time a Chinese head of state has visited the business summit. He used the forum to promote inclusive globalization and warn that populist approaches can lead to war and poverty. He also warned that tit-for-tat trade controls would benefit no one.
mark the first time 標誌著第一次
business summit 商業峰會
populist approach 民粹主義的做法
5. “No one would emerge as a winner in a global trade war,” he said. “Pursuing protectionism is just like locking one’s self in a dark room. Wind and rain might be kept outside but so are light and air.”
global trade war 全球貿易戰爭
6. The Chinese president said the world is full of contradictions and that globalization had become viewed as a “Pandora’s box” by many people, hinting at the populist movements that have spread across Western nations in the last year.
full of contradictions 充滿矛盾的
Pandora’s box 潘多拉的盒子（指邪惡之源）
7. Xi likened the global economy to a “big ocean that you cannot escape from,” adding that any attempt of isolation would simply not be possible.
any attempt of isolation 任何隔離的嘗試
8. “The right thing to do is to seize every opportunity and jointly meet challenges and chart the right course for globalization,” he said.
chart the right course 策劃、制定正確的路線
9. Xi touted ideas for the global economy, suggesting that countries should adopt new policy measures and advance structural reform and calling for new growth models to be developed. He said lawmakers should aim for “fair and equitable” governance.
tout ideas 宣傳新的主意
adopt new policy measures 採取新的政策措施
advance structural reform 推進結構改革
call for… 呼籲…
new growth model 新的經濟增長模型
fair and equitable 公平和公正的
10. Xi’s speech also comes as part of a state visit to Switzerland, just ahead of the Lunar New Year. Xi, the leader of the world’s second-largest economy, embraced the opportunity at Davos to show that the international community needs to pay attention to China’s interests. He spoke of China’s “opening up” and the many achievements it had made.
international community 國際社會